About "Castle of Glass" -- In General

So, I recently saw the video for “Castle of Glass”. It was IN-CRED-I-BLE. SO moving, and SOOOO beautifully directed/produced.

I’ve been wondering something, though — not about the video, per se, but the song in general. When I heard “CoG” for the first time, I connected to it almost immediately. But the message that I personally wound up interpreting from the lyrics has nothing to do with war — except, perhaps, the ongoing “war within”. And that may be the reason my mind doesn’t really “get” the (apparently) strong connection between the lyrics and the narrative of the Soldier and the loved ones s/he leaves behind. Like, I can understand the basic premise of the story, but I’m having some difficulty decoding all the imagery — for example, the “castle of glass” itself, and the crack in it. I mean, what is that referring to? (O__o)

Sorry if I come across as stupid — I just don’t have a personal tie to the military, plus the song has heretofore had a COMPLETELY different meaning to me. :-/

Everybody has their own interpretation of each song. Mike and Chester have said in interviews that they don’t want to come out and say what every song is about. If they did that, that would spoil everybody’s perception of every song completely.

There was one article in particular (I can not, for the life of me, tell you which one) where Mike said he was doing an interview once with Rob, and he was explaining to the interviewer about what a certain song was. Rob then told Mike he thought it was about something completely different, so, everyone has a different view point of each song.

I think with this video, the director chose a story that best fit both the song and Medal of Honor.

[quote=LP13413]Everybody has their own interpretation of each song. Mike and Chester have said in interviews that they don’t want to come out and say what every song is about. If they did that, that would spoil everybody’s perception of every song completely.

There was one article in particular (I can not, for the life of me, tell you which one) where Mike said he was doing an interview once with Rob, and he was explaining to the interviewer about what a certain song was. Rob then told Mike he thought it was about something completely different, so, everyone has a different view point of each song.

I think that was the Kerrang article.

I think with this video, the director chose a story that best fit both the song and Medal of Honor.
[/quote]

[quote=Abbylab][quote=LP13413]Everybody has their own interpretation of each song. Mike and Chester have said in interviews that they don’t want to come out and say what every song is about. If they did that, that would spoil everybody’s perception of every song completely.

I think that was the Kerrang article.

[/quote][/quote]

Kerrang

It’s like LP13413 said. You have to interpret the lyrics yourself.

But I feel similar like you. When I listen to CoG, I don’t associate it to soldiers etc. because I’m not connected to military.

For me, the meaning of the words are more generally. Like this: It’s about we shouldn’t take ourselves to important. We are just a fragment in this complex world. We are compensable. And we should aware what we’re doing, because everything we do causes effects.