Enquiry On Sustainability

Dear LPU Members,

I am Fu Yi Long, a Design student from Singapore. I am currently doing a semester project on sustainable design. I would like to get a point-of-view from your side.

Some background of myself, I am a young designer who cares a lot on the environment. In school, I am specialized in Communication Design and a self-taught Sustainable Designer outside the school.

Through my observation in Singapore, I believe many doesn’t really understand what ‘sustainable’ is about. In recent event, I saw posters in public promoting ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle’. I noticed they are printed posters promoting that particular topic and neglects the fact that such printed posters are produced from toxic printing ink and high quality papers.

Also based on my research, I found companies promoting ‘Go Green’ in a form of similar approach. Their advertising used to promote that awareness is either printed posters or mailers.

Isn’t that contradicting?

With that, I will be very grateful if you could give me a point-of-view on such cases and your kind attention would greatly help me to have a deeper understanding of green sustainable design.

Thank you very much!

Hi Fu. I’m just a normal person, nothing to do with your business. I just can give my amateurish thoughts about this:

Actually you are 100% right. But on the other hand you have to see, that organisations, companys eg. who want to work eco-friendly and raise the public interests on that field, somehow have to get our attention. That’s not easy in our medial world. If they are using high glossy paper for a promotion or whatever, that could still be good. Because they are catching peoples attention. And the more people are sensitive for our nature the merrier.

Personal example: I bought an extra fuel-saving car. One of the most economical cars on German market. Go green! But the sales prospect was high glossy. That’s absolutely ok for me. See that little sin in relation to the tons of gasoline, that will be saved due to selling that type of car.

[quote=Shoegaze4u]Hi Fu. I’m just a normal person, nothing to do with your business. I just can give my amateurish thoughts about this:

Actually you are 100% right. But on the other hand you have to see, that organisations, companys eg. who want to work eco-friendly and raise the public interests on that field, somehow have to get our attention. That’s not easy in our medial world. If they are using high glossy paper for a promotion or whatever, that could still be good. Because they are catching peoples attention. And the more people are sensitive for our nature the merrier.

Personal example: I bought an extra fuel-saving car. One of the most economical cars on German market. Go green! But the sales prospect was high glossy. That’s absolutely ok for me. See that little sin in relation to the tons of gasoline, that will be saved due to selling that type of car.
[/quote]

Let’s say if there is a way to make printed media that stands out but are great to the environment, would that be great to replace the traditional printed media? Because if we said 1 bad things can change another better, that’s lose-win (paper-gasoline) situation.

What I aim to do is that, win-win, because there’s others method to make great poster, but designers are nowadays lazy to do it because they just stick to their laptops and do their design work and do test prints and mass produce end of the day.

What would you think?

If you have ideas to make it better, go ahead, that’s great. I don’t know how designers doing their work and if they are so lazy like you said. Can’t really imagine. Finally it’s all about getting attention for specific products. If you can accomplish this on eco friendly way the better.

[quote=Shoegaze4u]If you have ideas to make it better, go ahead, that’s great. I don’t know how designers doing their work and if they are so lazy like you said. Can’t really imagine. Finally it’s all about getting attention for specific products. If you can accomplish this on eco friendly way the better.
[/quote]

I found something useful from your comments. Thank you so much! I will post my complete work when it’s done. Thanks again! :smiley: