Song Title Meanings?

Most song titles are just taken from some of the lyrics, but some aren’t. Anyone wanna speculate the meaning of these titles?

Here’s all that I can think of:

Points of Authority: Maybe something to do with Mike’s rap sounding like something an authority figure would say, like a mean authority figure putting people down?

Faint: Well, the beginning sounds of the song are kind of faint, even though the bridge is anything but. Maybe it’s named for the light intro sound.

Figure .09: No idea where this name comes from.

Wake: Maybe because the song after it is Given Up, and the first word of that song is Wake? Or maybe just because the song builds over time, like energy when you wake up.

Requiem: Not sure.

Radiance: Not Sure again.

Empty Spaces: Well, it’s just quiet sounds, makes sense.

Robot Boy: Like a robot, the person described in the song feels separated or not human? The electronic elements are also heavy.

Jornada del Muerto: Someone said it refers to the fact that atomic bombs were tested in New Mexico, which is why it’s in Spanish. Translated, Journey of the Dead refers to the fact that the lyrics are something victims of an atomic bomb would say, which is why the lyrics are in Japanese.

Iridescent: Well, iridescent refers to a colorful display, so maybe it’s ironic since “the wake of devastation” sounds more like black and white. Also the M/V was mostly in B & W shades, too.

Fallout: Referring to a nuclear fallout I assume.

The Catalyst: I don’t really know how to explain, but basically the song has that moment where it goes from the hectic sounds of “Where oceans bleed into the skyyyyy” into the “Lift Me Up, Let Me Go” part. So the song itself conducts you from these different feelings, know what I mean?

The Messenger: Chester’s lyrics are a message to all those who the lyrics describe? Is this also where the whole “I’m just the Messenger” thing came from in Transformers 3, since Iridescent was also the theme song.

Tinfoil: Can’t really explain this either, but the song just sounds like tinfoil!

Agree, disagree? These are just my guesses.

In the case of songs like Faint, Figure.09 etc, those are the original working titles that just ended up as the final name of the song

I dont really think about the meaning of the tittles but I always analyse the lyrics :slight_smile:

I just asked Mike about the meaning of Figure.09:

BTW, he liked you Brandon! [lol]

I do know that in the big MTM book that you could get back in 2007, it says the title of ‘‘Wake’’ came from the dual meaning of the word. Basically saying that it can be to awaken (rebirth) or fade away (death), and MTM is essentially about death and rebirth, according to Mike in the book, as well as Joe in LPTV. Kind of cool.

[quote=LPMASoldier]I do know that in the big MTM book that you could get back in 2007, it says the title of ‘‘Wake’’ came from the dual meaning of the word. Basically saying that it can be to awaken (rebirth) or fade away (death), and MTM is essentially about death and rebirth, according to Mike in the book, as well as Joe in LPTV. Kind of cool.
[/quote]
I think is also about the “awakening of the band”, 4 years after the last album.

Radiance: There they have used quote from Hindu book “Bhagavad Gita”, where Lord Vishnu takes on his multi-armed form - which was equivalent to radiance of thousand suns.

Sanskrit quote from Bhagavad Gita says like this:

“divi surya-sahasrasya / bhaved yugapad utthita
yadi bhah sadrishi sa syad / bhasas tasya mahatmanah”

Translation:

“If ‘a thousand suns’ (=surya sahasraya) rose all at once in the sky, such splendor might approach the effulgence of that Supreme Person in His radiant universal form.”

I think even the album name came from that quote itself [smile] (Just gave some information)

Well, for The Catalyst, I definitely think it’s the literal meaning of the trigger of the explosion, the ones that releases symphonies of blinding light. Robot Boy was the demo title, and I do love when they leave it that way, sometimes! The Messenger definitely sounds like some kind of reassuring to those affected by the destruction that love will restore everything. ‘Faint’ makes me think of “I can’t feel, the way I did before”, it makes me think of Chester actually collapsing. !!!

A requiem is a song for a funeral, when someone dies.

So I think if the Requiem is at the beginning of A Thousand Suns, I think it’s because Linkin Park had the idea, to start from the end, with that album. So basically, I think it’s just the beginning of the whole concept involved in the album, which is pretty much, the end of the world.

mike: Figure.09 was the demo (working) title
mike: I think it may have been based on an art book or diagram in something I was reading

thanks tfae for asking Mike about the meaning of Figure.09
I have been wanting to know for years and years why it had that name (hence my user name - I am the 9th Figure! Hehe)

I thought it was because it was in the 9th position of possible songs for Meteora back when they had no song titles for the album, but what Mike says is interesting and makes sense