The smart questions thread

This is very true also, these “symbols” or sounds that were giving meaning by us just further push us from our roots from nature.

And this is also correct, but it becomes opposite once the “rules” start changing over time, just look at the advancement of the human race “morality-wise” from the 60s to now.

We fight wars to make peace, because our leaders are never wrong (?). People are “out of the game” if they don’t have a piece of paper to live, we see this in our vision day by day, but we choose to go back to the “happy” dormant reality that is our own phone.

I mean, a species so developed and “civilized” has overtime lost empathy for their own kind. While as @lpfan61 mentioned, wild animals tend to have more empathy than us. Its the biased memes that makes us become like this. People just don’t see it clearly because it seems something so simple, but it goes much deeper.

What is the definition of a human right?

That’s a difficult one… :thinking: it depends on many things…

I was going through this page when I was reading about the bombings in Syria and other places, and what were its implications on human lives.
Btw, the meaning will differ in law, in philosophy or maybe in politics.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/issues/pages/whatarehumanrights.aspx

That is indeed a tricky one. I guess one definition could be a basic yet significant human need, the denial of which would be a cruelty. Like the right to freedom.

Google says:

a right which is believed to belong to every person.

This is a great question @rickvanmeijel as per this link (https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/human-rights/what-are-human-rights), I get the following:

Human rights are the basic rights and freedoms that belong to every person in the world, from birth until death. They apply regardless of where you are from, what you believe or how you choose to live your life.

They can never be taken away, although they can sometimes be restricted – for example if a person breaks the law, or in the interests of national security.

These basic rights are based on shared values like dignity, fairness, equality, respect and independence.

Though to me, from what I have mentioned, biases come into play, and “let the games begin” so to speak. Freedom of Speech (Though nowadays everyone gets easily offended and label something “hate speech”) Freedom of Religion (Same as above).

Laws which prevent people from living the way they choose (I can get arrested for weed, though its a plant found in nature), though we can chug booze and smoke cigarettes to our delight, until either leads us to death (Poor liver and lungs).

I don’t think there is a “true” definition to a Human right, as the biases don’t permit it. As long as we all have different perceptions, due to beliefs, there can never be that “peace” that is longed for.

If we analyze the above statement, lets see what I can get from it:

I do believe human rights can be taken away, just look at the laws that are passed by the leaders. Look at history itself with the likes of Hitler, Ze Dong, Castro, Lenin, etc.

In definition, what would be fairness? In Cuba under a communist regime, a doctor would make as much as janitor, is that fair?

Laws are made to govern right from wrong, though at times most laws don’t benefit others so, they can’t “live” the way they want to.

Interesting replies guys. I simply define a human right as an act of behaviour that doesn’t harm another human being or an act that doesn’t involve any kind of theft.