Why Living On Through Music Isn't Enough

When I hear people talk about Chester’s legacy, I frequently hear statements like, “He’ll live on in his music.” While I agree with the kind sentiment of that statement, it isn’t enough. First, music requires at least 2 different perspectives: The person/people producing the music, and the person/people hearing the music. As someone once said, “Music is meaningless noise until it touches a receiving ear.” In other words, if music exists but no one ever listens to it, the music may just as well be non-existent.
Technology has changed so fast over the past 100 (and even over the past 20 years) that most music and movies produced 100 years ago are either lost to history or not well known. In the early 1900s, there was a very famous actor named Rudolph Valentino. His tragic death at the young age of 31 drove some of his fans to kill themselves in order to show their devotion to him. Some of Valentino’s famous films include “The Son of the Sheik,” “Blood and Sand,” and “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.” Yet who has even heard of Valentino today? Who has watched any of his films? When I hear people say, “Chester will never be forgotten,” how can we ensure (or at least increase the chances) that this will be the case, say, 100 years from now? Is it reasonable to hope for such a thing? These are sincere questions that I think are worth considering.
Undoubtedly, Chester lives on in his children (perhaps this is one form of immortality) and he lives on in our hearts. But what about the next generation? How can we “help leave behind some reasons [for Chester] to be missed?”